Sunday 29 November 2009

Aladdin Comes to Southmead



It was filthy weather today. The perfect day for an afternoon pantomime. And dozens of other people obviously thought so too as Southmead Community Hall was absolutely packed full for the performance of Aladdin today.

Local man Cliff Howell organised the event to raise money for the Southmead Carol Bus Appeal, which raises money for local causes and sports and community groups. This year the pantomime was more successful than ever, with extra chairs having to be brought in, and lots of hushed activity at the back of the hall with teas and coffees being served, and light-sticks being sold to the kids.

What was particularly good to see was the complete age-range of people in the hall - from babies to toddlers, teenagers, young adults right up to grand-parents. Everyone was enjoying the show. In truth, I remember thoroughly hating pantomimes when I was little. I used to be dragged along by my parents as part of the Christmas ritual at the Bristol Hippodrome -I think because my Gran loved the panto. But either I've grown into them, or the production we saw of Aladdin was a cut above what I saw when I was tiny - because I enjoyed every minute of it, along with everyone else.

If you'd like to donate to the Southmead Carol Bus Appeal, click HERE!

www.southmeadpride.co.uk

No comments: